The Law Library is currently open without needing an appointment

The Law Library is currently open without needing an appointment M - F 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.

Answered By: Librarian 03
Last Updated: May 10, 2022     Views: 530

How can I transfer property in Alameda County? How do I find and use grant deeds?

Alameda County Law Library has a research guide to steer you through the process of making changes in ownership for property located in Alameda County, CA, including different types of deeds and how to record them. It is available in these different formats: 


"Deeds – Adding or changing names on real estate"

PDF file


Blog post


The Alameda County Law Library has grant deed and quitclaim deed form packets available for sale at our reference desk.  Individual forms are also available at



Alameda County has a Lawyers in the Library - Property Transfer Clinic through which Alameda County homeowners can sign up for a free 20-30 minute one-on-one phone appointment with a lawyer regarding topics such as: 


  • Alameda County assessment process
  • Holding title to property and its tax consequence
  • Transferring property to family members
  • Transferring property to a revocable trust
  • What happens to property after a death of a loved one
  • Common exclusions from reassessment
  • Matters pertaining to Proposition 19. For an explanation of Proposition 19, please see


"Appointments run for 15 minutes for the Lawyer in the Library program and 20-30 minutes for the Property Transfer Clinic. Due to limited availability, we can only make one appointment per month per person or family."

 See the Property Transfer Clinic website and flyer


The law library has among other relevant resources including: